What a weird fucking game.
Honestly, if you told me this morning that we would relatively make Welker a non-factor, see an inspired performance from Shonn Greene, knock Brady around all day, and not turn the ball over……and LOSE, I’d punch you in the face while laughing my ass off.
Obviously, I’m an emotional guy and will be the last person in the world to jump on the pussy ass moral victory wagon, but when the final whistle sounded I couldn’t help but feel kinda good. Yet, shitty at the same time.
Could have been the multitude of Budweisers that were consumed during all four quarters. Also, could have been the fact that we got RUN THE FUCK OVER by a dude with 37 names. A few quick hits before I go hang myself from my ceiling fan:
- BenJarvus Green-Ellis?!?! Really? REALLY? 136 yards and 2 TDs? We made this scrub look like Walter Payton today. This dude hasn’t run for more than 75 yards all year and we let him almost double that in ONE GAME. I can accept letting Darren McFadden take us to school but this assclown going for 4 yards a carry? No, sorry. Disgusting. Deplorable. Dysfunctional. Deplorable. Oh wait, I used that one already? I don’t give a fuck. And neither does our run defense apparently.
- Penalties. Jimminy Christmas, we gotta stop shooting ourselves in the fucking foot man (No offense, Plaxico). Dumbass holding calls, 12 men on the field, roughing the passer…unacceptable. 8 penalties for 89 yards, four of them resulting in Pats first downs and a bunch of second-chances for Tom Brady. Slapdick football to the max.
- Third Down. As much as I was salivating at the chance to throw Schotty under the bus, I really can’t after this one. But one thing I’ll take issue with, third down conversions. Or rather, lack thereof. 3 for 11? Come the hell on man. You can’t expect to win games when you can’t move the sticks. Too many short routes, too many conservative pussyfoot calls.
- Shonn Greene. Welcome to the 2011 season homie, glad you could join us. Seriously though, where the hell was this kind of running the past four weeks? Even before Mangold went down, Shonn never looked like he was in postseason form. Today I saw the Shonn Greene I love and the one we need if we really think we’re gonna “Ground N Pound”. Running with conviction, vigor and purpose. Giving the extra effort to pull the pile. Pray to God this is the Greene we see from here on out.
- Joe McKnight. Brad who? This guy is an absolute stud and as predicted has already made me forget we lost our best special teams player to free agency. Just absolutely bringing it every week, on all ends of the field. Kick returns, kickoff tackles, coming out of the backfield as a receiver, even filling in at corner once in a while, dude is a STUD. Quickly becoming one of my favorite guys on this team and the one constant so far for a team that has been a model of inconsistency.
- Mark Sanchez. Amazing what a week can do. And getting your starting center back. Oh and going against the shittiest (statistically) defense in the league. Still, Mark looked good today. Didn’t turn the ball over, didn’t force any balls, and threw two TDs. Just frustrating that we go up against the worst pass defense in the NFL and can only manage 21 points. Would have been 14 if Joe McKnight doesn’t do his thang and give the offense a serious alley-oop on that one return. But going back to Schitty…I mean Schotty. Can we let Mark cook? How about some more roll-outs and play action? How about some deep balls? How about getting Sanchez the hell out of the pocket and putting him in a position where he has shown he can make plays?
Bottomline, yeah we made some strides today, but that ain’t getting you points in the standings. Right now this is a team that has shown inconsistency and flat-out DUDY play at times on both sides of the ball. We have no offensive identity and more alarmingly (Is that correct syntax? Again, I don’t give a shit) is the fact that the past three weeks now we have been bullied and physically imposed by soft bitchmade teams. Well, except the Ravens.
Rex can yell and flap his arms and talk all he wants about how we’re going back to “Ground N Pound” but it doesn’t mean jack shit if we go out and get out muscled and straight up bitched around week in and week out. Football is a game that is won between the tackles down in the trenches. And that’s the most disheartening thing about this whole 2-3 start. I can deal with 2-3, this season is a 16 game marathon, not a sprint.
What I can’t deal with though is my Jets, the team that under Rex Ryan, has never shown a sense of fear and a lack of urgency like this. We’ve never looked more intimidated on both sides of the ball than we’ve looked these past three weeks. Thank God we’ve got the Phins coming to town next week but we need to seriously turn this ship around and fast.
We can bitch and moan about the playcalling every week and wait for our offense to get in sync. We can keep kidding ourselves and preaching patience about our quarterback and receivers finding a rhythm. But before any of that happens, we need to first and foremost find our balls. If we have them.